PR & Communications Director – Remote (New York City)
Award-winning creative technology and experience design company Deeplocal is seeking a PR & Communications Director to develop and execute our external communications strategy using creative tactics. This role will be responsible for proactively engaging advertising, technology, design, and innovation media — locally, nationally, and globally.
This position will report to Deeplocal’s VP of Marketing and collaborate with team members across disciplines, including the brightest minds in creative technology. Leading media and industry relations, you’ll play a key role in introducing readers, including prospective clients and talent, to Deeplocal’s culture of invention and creative process. We’re looking for an expert in creating emotional connections through words and ideas; you must be equally adept in communications strategy and creative writing to excel in this role.
This role requires 6+ years of communications or media experience with a proven history of securing and/or writing stories for national press outlets, ideally in advertising, technology, and/or design sectors. A portfolio of writing samples is required for consideration.
This is a remote position. The ideal candidate is based in New York City and is able to travel to Deeplocal’s Pittsburgh headquarters as necessary. (Outstanding candidates in other markets will also be considered.)
- Communications Strategy – Develop a strategy driven by creative tactics to build relationships with industry media and communicate Deeplocal’s integrated process, brand, and unique position as a creative tech leader in the advertising industry.
- Measurement – Establish KPIs for the communications strategy; monitor press mentions and measure and report on your contribution to marketing efforts.
- Media Relations – Develop and maintain strong relationships with editors and reporters who are working in advertising, technology, design, and innovation media.
- Pitching – Develop and pitch compelling stories that communicate Deeplocal’s brand, projects, and thought leadership; secure top-tier media placements for these stories.
- Brand Storytelling – Demonstrate a strong understanding of Deeplocal’s brand and positioning within our industry; know what our brand would (and wouldn’t) do, and how our brand would (and wouldn’t) act; proactively identify new opportunities to tell our story.
- Creative Writing – Write clever copy that’s appropriately adapted to different mediums and matches Deeplocal’s tone of voice, including but not limited to pitches, releases, and LinkedIn articles.
- Creative Ideation – Develop creative, smart, non-traditional marketing ideas for Deeplocal that align with the communications strategy; collaborate with Marketing team to develop assets (photo, video, physical prototypes) to support these ideas for press outreach.
- Speaking Engagements – Secure and coordinate speaking opportunities for Deeplocal team members across disciplines at high-profile industry events and conferences.
- Market and Industry Analysis – Keep tabs on industry and cultural trends; adjust communications strategies to meet changing market and competitive conditions.
- Past experience (6+ years) as a communications lead at a creative agency, design firm, or tech brand; alternatively, past experience as a journalist at a relevant industry publication.
- Strong relationships with editors and reporters in advertising, technology, and/or design sectors.
- Proven history of securing feature stories in high-visibility press channels.
- Exceptional writing and storytelling skills (short- and long-form), even against deadlines.
- Creative thinker, collaborator, and problem solver; flexible and adaptable.
- An understanding and love of grammar, language, and persuasive communication.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to intuitively read people.
- Knowledge of and interest in emerging cultural trends and technologies.
- Proficiency with software tools including Google Workspace (G Suite) and PR metrics platforms.
- Excited by new challenges and never-been-done-before work; visit deeplocal.com/work for examples of Deeplocal projects.
Deeplocal COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
Based upon its strong commitment to the health, wellbeing and safety of its employees and their families, its clients, and the communities where it lives and works, Deeplocal has instituted a COVID-19 vaccine mandate and other COVID-19 related protocols, subject to any and all applicable state or local laws. Of course, our policies, procedures, and protocols are subject to change as conditions evolve. If an employment offer is made to you, you will be given a full opportunity to advise us if at that time you believe that you need to be excused from any specific requirements (including a vaccine mandate, if in place at that time) and Deeplocal will interact with you to fully understand, evaluate, and respond to any request for an accommodation, in strict accordance with all applicable laws.
Deeplocal is a quickly growing, internationally-recognized, creative technology company based in Pittsburgh, PA. Deeplocal’s team of 120+ includes experts in marketing, engineering, design, and fabrication who collaborate to develop never-seen-before physical experiences for brand clients, including Google, Meta, Netflix, and Shopify. Our studio and production facility is located in a renovated brewery loft space in Pittsburgh.
Deeplocal has been named one of the Best Places to Work in Western Pennsylvania and has received numerous awards in advertising and design. Deeplocal’s work has been featured on Fast Company, Wired, NYTimes, USA Today, the Today Show, Good Morning America, Gizmodo, Engadget, Forbes, and many more.
Invent products and experiences for innovative brands.
To be a place where amazing talent can invent, create, and inspire.
Our Core Values
Deeplocal is committed to maintaining the company's core values and culture as the company grows. Employees should exhibit the following Deeplocal core values:
- Competitive and comprehensive health care coverage
- Flexible retirement plan with employer matching
- Paid vacation time and winter break
- Profit sharing
- Flexible work opportunities
- Family and pet friendly policies, including best-in-industry parental leave
- Fitness and public transportation subsidies
- Community service flex time